You may have noticed a little delay in my posting schedule this month. For those that don’t know I broke my right wrist on holiday and am now typing with my left hand and only about 2 fingers as I have never been a proficient typist anyway. I am right handed so this has been more of a blow than last year’s accident, if any of you remember back I broke my left wrist on holiday in Morocco, at more or less the same time of year. Last year I knew right away it was broken and was taken to a hospital where they operated and put a metal splint in my arm, which is still there and once I’d finished physio, my left wrist hasn’t been a problem at all. This year’s holiday was a campervan trip with myself, hubby and dog, in which we travelled down through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and Switzerland and finally reaching Northern Italy where we stayed a few days before turning round and coming home. I fell on the last night in Italy, it had rained a little and on returning from the shower block I slipped on wet tiles and apparently flipped in mid air twisting away from my left arm, unconsciously protecting it I guess, and landed on my right. It hurt, it hurt such a lot, a very nice chap who had seen me go down rushed over with an ice pack and I spent the night with that on my wrist.
Now beware of Google and checking on-line for medical advice, it’s a very daft thing to do and to rely on. I convinced myself and hubby that it must just be a sprain:
- a sprain hurts more than a break, yes this hurt more than last year’s break,
- It was still in a straight line, last year my wrist was hanging in a rather disturbing manner (I am sure it is still bent in a funny way, but it works fine and that’s the main thing).
- It swelled up, sprains do that.
- never wear flip-flops on wet tiles.
- Left handed scissors are real, and necessary for left handed people, you can’t use right handed scissors with your left hand.
- Don’t listen to google on health issues, it will either frighten you unnecessarily or make you ignore something you should do something about.